Sunday, November 25, 2012

recipe #21 - Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Quesadilla

I'm a little over half way through my 30 things before I turn 30 challenge and while I've completed 10 off my list. I now bring you number 4; a recipe from scratch.  This recipe has been in my head for a few months and I finally decided to make it.

Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Quesadillas witih Lime Yogurt Sauce

Ingredients:

Quesadilla:
 -1 cooked sweet potato; mashed
-1 can of black beans; drained
-1 package of goat cheese; mine was PC's and 140g
-1 package of tortillas; I used whole wheat because I couldn't find authentic corn ones
-1 tbsp cumin
-1 tsp olive oil

Yogurt Sauce:
-1/4 cup yogurt
-1 to 2 tsp of fresh lime juice
-a few drops of hot sauce *optional, mine was a peach vidalia*

1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Poke holes in sweet potato, cook in microwave for 5 minutes; flip over midway through. Scrape out sweet potato once cooked and mash it up.
3. Meanwhile while the potato is cooking, drain beans, mix in a medium size bowl with cumin. Add olive oil to a pan, add bean mixture and cook for 5 minutes. You could at this point mash a few of the beans together, I prefer mine whole.
4. Once both the potato and beans are cooked, line a cookie sheet with tinfoil. Add tortillas (I made 4 at once), add beans, potato and sprinkle with goat cheese, fold over to make quesadilla shape. Bake until the top of the tortillas are browned. 
5. While quesadillas are in the oven baking, you can mix the yogurt sauce ingredients together and whisk until combined. 
6. I ended up using the rest of the mixture throughout the week, but if you were having a large party you could make them in shifts for a delicious appetizer.

-mjb

No comments:

Post a Comment