Saturday, September 15, 2012

recipe #20 - baby spinach pesto

I don't know about you, but I hate throwing food out. I'm always drawn to the pre-packaged baby spinach containers at the grocery store but as a house of one, i find it hard to finish them without throwing half of it out. Cut to the following week and I buy another one, and throw half away once again; it's a vicious cycle. When I noticed mine starting to go bad this morning I realized I had to do something, thus baby spinach pesto was born.

Baby Spinach Pesto *my apologies for the instagram photo - my camera is charging*


Ingredients:

-2 cups of baby spinach *easily adaptable to how much baby spinach you have*
-2 cloves of garlic; sliced
-1/4 tsp of basil
-1 1/2 tbsp pine nuts *easily adaptable to whatever nut you may have on hand since pine nuts are crazy expensive i just happened to have a few lying around*
-1/8 cup olive oil
-1/4 cup parmesan
-a pinch of herbamare *or salt, i just prefer to use herbamare*

1. Put everything in food processor and pulse until blended. I added a bit extra olive oil until it was a sauce-type consistency.

Voila! Congratulations you didn't end up having to throw out half a container of baby spinach. I plan on using mine as a pizza sauce later on tonight. How about you?

-mjb

1 comment:

  1. I've gotten into the habit of freezing any veggies that are starting to go bad (plus peels and ends) and then using them to make veg stock later (I use it to add flavour to a lot of stuff now.) Spinach would work in a stock, I think. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete